EXMORE, VA. (December 20, 2017) — The Eastern Shore of Virginia Broadband Authority (ESVBA) has started Fiber to the Home (FTTH) services in Sanford, Cheapside, Cape Charles and Accomac. These are the first of many communities that are slated to begin receiving FTTH service over the next six months.
The FTTH program extension was approved at the November Board of Directors meeting and publically announced at a Ribbon Cutting Event on November 22, 2017. Senator Lynwood Lewis and Delegate Rob Bloxom both spoke at the celebratory event.
“Rural broadband and access to high speed internet is a challenge nationwide… I think this authority has really served as a model for other rural areas in the commonwealth and perhaps even nationwide as to how best to approach expanding access for high speed internet,” Senator Lynwood Lewis said.
The specific residences now eligible to participate in the program are located along the current ESVBA fiber routes in:
Temperanceville and Sanford on Saxis Rd between Lankford Hwy and Belinda Rd. (see Map #3 below)
Cheapside (see Map #4 below)
- Capeville Rd West of Rt 13,
- Custis Tomb Rd between Arlington Ln and Custis Tomb Dr,
- Arlington Rd between Custis Tomb Dr and Cheapside Rd,
- Sand Hill Dr between Allure Way and Arlington Rd.
Cape Charles (see Map #5 below)
- Cobbs Station Rd between the train tracks and Seaside Rd,
- Seaside Rd from Cobbs Station Rd South to the Northampton County Landfill,
Accomac (see Map #6 below)
- New Branch Rd between Bayside Rd and Sawyer Dr,
- Sawyer Dr from New Branch Rd to Jersey St,
- Jersey St from Sawyer Dr to Greenbush Rd,
- Greenbush Rd from Jersey St to Adams Rd,
- Adams Rd from from Greenbush Rd to the area of the ANEC power substation,
- Accomac Rd from Greenbush Rd to Courthouse Rd,
- Courthouse Rd from Accomac Rd to Front St,
- Tasley Rd from the train tracks to Front St,
- Church Rd from just South of Blue Ln to Front St,
- Drummondtown Rd from Front St to approximately .25miles North of Fitchett Ln,
- Front St from Tasley Rd to Mary N Smith Rd,
- Mary N Smith Rd from Front St to the MN Smith Center just South East of Kellam Ln,
- Joynes Neck Rd from Front St to the new Accomac park (Saw Mill Park).
Map #3 (Temperanceville & Sanford areas, houses along the green route):
Map #4 (Cheapside area, houses along the green route):
Map #5 (Cape Charles area, houses along the green route):
Map #6 (Accomac area, houses along the green route):